There were some peas in the garden at just the perfect stage of ripeness. Not enough for much more than snacking…yet…but boy, were they tasty. I went out to supervise Hubby weeding – you know, keep him company for awhile, and ooh and aah over the progress he had made, which was pretty significant. Overall this summer, the weeds have been winning most of the time, but when we bushwack our way back down to dirt in any given row, we keep discovering that the vegetables are still there, and doing fine. After getting through the weeds, Hubby thinned the beets, and the bundle of greens was big enough to be a side dish for a meal. While we were at it, we dug up a couple of potato plants, just to see what was under there, and were pleased to find big healthy potatoes, ready to be cooked up into lunch. I pulled up a couple of immature onions, and went inside to make something to eat…
Recipe: Creamy Dilled Potatoes
12 small potatoes (or 3 or 4 big ones), cut into bite-sized chunks
2 immature garden onions (or 1/2 of a regular white onion, or a good handful of green onions)
a little butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp dried dill
salt and pepper to taste
Boil the potatoes in a little salted water water until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the white part of the onion and fry in butter until just translucent. Chop the green part of the onion and add that, too, once the white is mostly cooked. add the milk and heavy cream (or just add a cup of light cream – we happened to have heavy cream around, about to go off, and I did not want to waste it), and the dill, salt, and pepper. When to potatoes are done cooking, drain the water, then put them back in the pot and add the cream sauce. Simmer briefly and serve. We had ours with steamed beet greens with a bit of butter and lemon. This is very rich, and would probably be best as a side dish with a lighter meal like grilled chicken and steamed veg, but we liked it just fine as the main course, too!
Last weekend, Hubby found one of the chickens in the coop, laying on her side. She was not in any distress, but seemed to be unable to get up. We put her in a box with a bit of straw for bedding, and brought her into the porch. She ate and drank happily enough, and seemed fine, except for an inability to stand. After five days, she was no better at all, and seemed weaker and in some discomfort from laying on her side all the time – some of her feathers were getting loose, and she just did not look well at all.
I told Hubby that I would not participate in anything that involved blood until after my morning coffee, so he sharpened the axe and took the chicken out to the woods at 7am and dealt with it by himself. She has joined the chicks in the little cemetery in the woods, as we don’t know what sort of bug made her paralyzed like that, and didn’t really want to eat sick chicken. Hubby said the experience was “gruesome”, but he thinks slaughter time will go fine. I am proud of him – he has never killed anything bigger than a mosquito before, but he was able to do the humane thing, and made a clean kill.
Last week, I was experimenting with making candied peel, and tried making candied ginger while I was at it. A few years ago, Mom had this lovely box of chocolates that had candied ginger in the centres, and taste-testing my home-made candied ginger reminded me of that for some reason. I had a chunk of Bernard Callebeaut dark chocolate in the pantry, bought for some long-forgotten recipe that I failed to get around to, so I broke out the candy molds and the double boiler. I made half with the candied ginger, but Hubby is not a big ginger guy, so at his request, I filled the other half with dollops of saskatoon berry jam that I made earlier this week. Both types were fantastic, but they look exactly the same, so we have to be careful which end of the mold each chocolate comes from, lest Hubby get a nasty surprise!