Well, the cistern emptied out a whole lot faster than I expected, suggesting that either a) there was a lot less water in there than I thought, or b) we are a lot more wasteful than I thought. I sure hope it was a), or the adjustments will be painful.
I had not really thought about it in a while, but when the hum of the pump sounded deeper and labored, it occurred to us to take a quick peek. A visual check was not enough to figure out how much water was in there, as I could not tell if the blotches waaaayyyy down there were mold clumps, or the bottom of the tank. We got creative, and lowered a weighted string down the access hole, only to discover that there are approximately two inches left in the bottom of the tank.
Not knowing if our pump has an automatic low-pressure switch-off, we shut her down. Hubby grabbed the buckets, and we started melting snow…again. Good thing we have lots!
I called the cleaning guy, who sounds like a real good guy, and figured he could fit us in tomorrow afternoon…if it doesn’t snow too much – there is a heavy snowfall warning for tonight, and who knows what the driveway will look like if there is any wind at all. I also called the water guy, just in case the cleaners are able to make it out, and he figured he could swing by on Saturday afternoon, as long as the cleaning guys have done their thing. Problem (somewhat) solved, as long as the weather co-operates…