So the ‘hitch’ that we had come across turned out to be quite a bit bigger than just a questionable sewer placement. The surveyors, who would normally be able to complete the final survey in a matter of days, are now out of town for a month, possibly quite a bit more. Consultation with mortgage brokers, realtors, and lawyers reached the conclusion that it is impossible to get the mortgage without a title document, and that a title document cannot be created without that final survey. Which means, in effect, that possession would be pushed back by a month or two. Ugh.
I spent one night fuming and worrying about it, then one night getting a good night’s sleep. This morning, it hit me that maybe somebody else could finish the survey. The lawyer indicated there is only one gig in town, as far as surveyors go. However, I decided it was worth calling the folks who had dealt with the subdivision on the farm, as they are less than 2 hours’ drive from here. I was impressed with the expertise and level of service I had received from them, and thought they might be able to shed some light on the matter.
The chief of the company listened to my sob story, thought for a moment, then told me that he could and would complete the process, as long as the seller settled up with the original survey company, so that he could get the completed initial survey from them. Apparently, once Community Planning has approved a subdivision, the approval is, in fact, transferrable. Bingo. Thinking outside the box pays off again!
I conveyed this information to my realtor, who passed it along to the seller’s realtor, who went to the original survey company to settle up and get the necessary documents. Less than an hour later, my realtor called me back to notify me that the original surveyors found a crew who would be available to finish the job within one week.
Amazing how fast things can go from “completely impossible” to “right away. ma’am”…